Thread: FDX -vs- FDXZ

FDX -vs- FDXZ

Several questions regarding LC2011 (vs) LC2008, listed by importance:

[1] FDX -vs- FDXZ. With LC08, I have over 7,200 recipes (approximately 20 cookbooks): How do I "SUCCESSFULLY" convert all these cookbooks/recipes from FDX to FDXZ. Sounds like an almost impossible task.
    [2] Because I am new to LC2011: is it best to uninstall LC2008 BEFORE installing LC2011? Or is it safe to leave both versions on the same PC?
    [3] With LC2008, I had some problems with certain recipes containing too many images. Is that problem solved with LC2011?
    I will do nothing (uninstall/install) before I have an answer to these questions; and, if there is any further advice on installation, please let me know.

Thanks
    GadgetDude

Hi,

1) What do you mean by "SUCCESSFULLY"? If you are having problems exporting to FDXZ I am sure I can help you if you give me some more details.

2) LC 2008 and LC 2011 are completely independent. I would wait until LC 2011 is successfully installed and you have verified that your data has upgraded successfully before uninstalling LC 2008.

3) Can you refresh my memory regarding the "too many images" issue.

Lee

Lee: I should have used "successful" in the past tense as it referred to installation/restoration problems with LC08.
    The reference to "too many images" was to my cookbook "Gourmet Cookbook" and the fact that Print Preview was not working (it would crash) and it would not be displayed. After a while, it was "deduced" that (at least under LC08) there were too many images and I had to cut them down. So, the concern with LC2011 is whether there are still problems with images (quantity/quality).

For now, my biggest concern is: FDX to FDXZ Conversion: I have over 7,200 fdx files in approximately 20 cookbooks. And I am concerned about the conversion of so many files, so many cookbooks; and, bringing those cookbooks over to LC2011. Can I import cookbooks made with LC2008 (fdx) to LC2011 (fdxz), and will the conversion be automatic? This sounds like an almost impossible task.

Lastly, by implication, are you stating that you can have BOTH LC2008 and LC2011 on the same PC?

Thanks for your valuable time and attention.
    I Bid You Peace!
    GadgetDude
    Last edited by gadgetdude; 10-28-2010 at 03:20 PM.

It sounds like you are panicking. There is no need to panic. We can get it done.

Regarding your file conversion, are the 7200 recipes no longer in Living Cookbook? If they are still in Living Cookbook can't you just export them to FDXZ? It will be at least as easy as the last time you did it (FDXZ export more quickly and the files are smaller).

Yes, you can run Living Cookbook 2008 and Living Cookbook 2011 on the same PC.

Lee

I am sorry if I sounded panicked to you. I am not.
    Confused, Yes. Uncertain, Yes. But not panicked.
    I guess I just want to make the FDX/FDXZ transition of all those recipes in a way that I don't lose all my work.
    Sounds like your saying I can export FDX files into 2011. I'll install 2011 and give it a try. Thanks for your time.
    Again, I apologize for sounding "panicked".

I Bid You Peace!
    GadgetDude

You aren't going to lose your work. Living Cookbook 2011 isn't going to delete your FDX files. And it isn't going to delete your Living Cookbook 2008 database or your Living Cookbook 2008 backup files.

I am unclear why you deleted your 7200 recipes from Living Cookbook 2008. Was there a reason you did that (i.e. why you need to import the FDX files back into Living Cookbook in order to re-export them instead of simply exporting new FDXZ files).

Lee