Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Living Cookbook Recipies on iPad

Living Cookbook Recipies on iPad

We have all of our recipes stored in Living Cookbook 2011 but my wife wants to be able to see them in the kitchen while she is cooking. She doesn't want to have a computer in the kitchen because it takes up too much room. We are getting an iPad this week and are thinking that it might work well for displaying recipes in the kitchen.

My question is - is there any way to export Living Cookbook recipes to an iPad so they can be displayed on the iPad?

Also, are there any plans for an iPad app for Living Cookbook?

Thanks

I use Handy Cookbook on my iphone, not free, but pretty cheap. The author is working on an ipad app that should be out soon. The process is a little cumbersome at first, but it goes pretty fast once you have it set up. In the meantime, you might consider EVERNOTE. I use the free version on my iphone to view the shopping lists I create in LC. I also put my test recipes in there. They have a version for the ipad and it is free. They also have a paid version that gives you more storage space and more options (both free and paid do a lot of cool stuff). For now, you have copy and paste, but it does keep the formatting or you can edit and reformat in Evernote. With the free version, you can create a folder (e.g. Exports) and then enable that folder for imports in Evernote. You then export your recipes via HTML to that folder. Evernote will pick them up and they will appear in your notes, fully formatted pictures and all. To save space and time, I just do a copy recipe (which means no pictures) and then paste into a new note. Not as easy as being able to transfer the entire program, but workable for recipes. Syncing between pc and phone (or ipad) can be done with just one button from either. The phone does not have to be connected to sync. works with 3g. Hope this helps some for now.

Thanks for your reply. My iPad should arrive tomorrow so once it does I will look into your suggestions and see if any of them will work for me.

I was hoping that there might be an existing iPad app that could import one of the formats that Living Cookbook can export to - that would be the best solution in my opinion. So far I haven't found any that import but there are literally hundreds (if not thousands) of cooking related iPad apps and I haven't looked at all of them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by James Ferris View Post
    We have all of our recipes stored in Living Cookbook 2011 but my wife wants to be able to see them in the kitchen while she is cooking. She doesn't want to have a computer in the kitchen because it takes up too much room. We are getting an iPad this week and are thinking that it might work well for displaying recipes in the kitchen.
    Hi there,

If displaying is all that you want to do on the iPad my recommendation is to install a free .pdf printer (a google search for the term will return several in its results, I use CutePDF). Then "print" your recipes to .pdf and upload them to a free cloud service like Dropbox or Sugarsync, both have iPad apps. You'll get all of the Living Cookbook formatting, though you won't be able to edit.

We expect to begin work on app development this summer, though as we're a bit new to the game and don't know what to expect in terms of a development timeline, I'm afraid I can't give you an ETA.

Let me know if this doesn't work for you.

Geoff
    Follow us on Twitter: @livingcookbook

Geoff,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I'll give that a try and see how it works - the biggest problem is that we have hundreds of recipes so it would take a lot of work to print each one out and then go through the upload and download process to transfer it to the iPad. I guess we can just confine ourselves to a few of the ones that we use the most for now.

We look forward to seeing an app for the iPad that will do the whole thing directly on the iPad itself. That would be ideal.

Jim

Hi Jim,

You can select a range (or all) of recipes in the list view and choose Print, Selected Recipes from the File menu.

Let me know how you fare.

Geoff

Geoff,

Ok, I tried your suggestion - installed a PDF reader app on my iPad and installed CutePDF on my computer. I "printed" some recipes to a PDF file and then using iTunes with my iPad connected I simply "added" the PDF file to the PDF reader app and then synced my iPad. (Instead of uploading the PDF to the "cloud" and then downloading it from the cloud to my iPad.)

The recipes displayed just fine on the iPad as you mentioned. Of course they are really just multiple pages of a single PDF file so there is no "intelligence" to the group of recipes and one has to just scroll through them screen by screen but they do work fine. I guess I could just make multiple files of recipes in groups and then pick the file that has the recipe that I want to display it on the iPad.

So, that should at least allow us to use the iPad to display Living Cookbook recipes for now but we do look forward to your app that will do it all on the iPad.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Jim

Hi there,

Admittedly this is just a stopgap solution, but I'm glad the workaround is working here, and we'll be sure to announce any news on the app front as soon as we can.

Thanks!

Geoff

Am I misunderstanding what the ipad is about. I want to buy one and download a workable version of Diet pro to it. I already have Diet pro on my PC but I thought that I would like it on an ipad for use in the kitchen, shopping, planing in an armchair etc. Please tell me if this is not yet possible.?
    thanks
    Dot

Dot,

No, the current versions of their programs (Diet Pro, Living Cookbook, Home Inventory Pro, etc.) are written for the PC and will not run on the iPad. Apparently they are going to start work on an iPad version of Living Cookbook this summer and presumably their other programs as well but my guess is that it may be a while before they are completed.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Ferris View Post
    No, the current versions of their programs (Diet Pro, Living Cookbook, Home Inventory Pro, etc.) are written for the PC and will not run on the iPad. Apparently they are going to start work on an iPad version of Living Cookbook this summer and presumably their other programs as well but my guess is that it may be a while before they are completed.
    Hi there,

While I won't rule it out for future development, I'm not aware of any plans for a Diet Pro iPad app. Living Cookbook is our core program and Home Inventory Pro was built on similar framework, so I'd bet we'll see them in that order (pending sufficient demand), though as I mentioned above I can't give a meaningful estimate as to when. The Bartender's Companion has seen its last revision on any platform, and will not have an iPad app. We hope to begin development of a new Diet Pro (Windows) version in Fall-Winter 2011 for a 2012 release, and we'll see if the demand is there for a Mac version or app when the time comes.

Feel free to send any other questions my way.

Geoff

Hey folks! The ipad app Paprika can import Living Cookbook... Or at least the site says it can. I haven't tried it yet. But its a great t looking app. If anyone gives this a whirl let me know... I'm very courious...

Thanks for the info on Paprika. I have installed the app on my iPad and tried to import Living Cookbook's recipes but there doesn't seem to be any way to import them directly, despite the comment on the Paprika screen in the Apple Store about fixing an import problem with Living Cookbook.

What I did find is that you can export the Living Cookbook database from Living Cookbook into a MasterCook format and then import that into Paprika - Paprika does support importing of MasterCook files. Unfortunately, the images from Living Cookbook don't make the transition so they do not appear in Paprika. Nor do the categories - all of the Living Cookbook recipes just appear as one long alphabetical list. If you want to put them in categories you have to do it manually.

So, it is better than nothing but still not ideal. I sent the Paprika folks an email asking them about importing Living Cookbook files and will let you know what I find out when they send me a reply.

It appears that Paprika can import .mx2 files, which Living Cookbook can generate, but the .mx2 format doesn't include images or some of the other .fdx data as James describes above.

It's an interesting app though.

Geoff

Hmm, maybe instead of reinventing the wheel for the iPad you guys should consider collaborating with the folks who wrote Paprika so that Living Cookbook files could be easily moved to Paprika and vice versa...

I'm just sayin'...