Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living Cookbook 2011 v3.0.34 is NOT Compatible with Windows 8 64-bit

Living Cookbook 2011 v3.0.34 is NOT Compatible with Windows 8 64-bit

Looks like we can look forward to a update or new version of Living Cookbook within the coming year if Radium Technologies wants to continue their product under Windows 8. Thought I'd give Windows 8 Consumer Preview a spin and hopefully report that Living Cookbook 2011 runs fine.

No such luck. LC won't install under Win8 with the settings I've tried so far.

I tried installing under the classic Windows desktop "app" (~Windows 7 interface) of Windows 8. The default compatibility evaluation by Win8 is to install LC as a WinXP SP3-compatible app. That bombs out informing me that I can't install LC under 64-bit WinXP (what Win8 is emulating, I guess). If I manually switch the compatibility mode to Windows 7, still bombs out in the same way. Also, the InstallAware wizard for LC wants to install .Net Framework 2.0 (from the Stone Age of .Net Framework) and Win8 does not go for that, either.

If you want to try out Windows 8 Consumer Preview, you might do what I did (if you are experienced with Windows). Wife has a laptop she doesn't really use with 240 Gb free hard disk space. I mouse right click on My Computer, picked Manage, went to Disk Services in the Console, mouse right click, asked to Shrink Volume. Few minutes passed while Win7 evaluated how much it could shrink volume (might be some unmovable files that limit how much space you can free up). I picked 45 Gb to shrink (leaving me 29.5 Gb free after Win8 install). After shrinking my existing Win7 partition and getting 45 Gb free space, I downloaded the Win8 setup to my Win7 disk and followed instructions to create an .ISO image. Once you have the ISO image and have carefully written down on PAPER the license key, you can mouse right click on the ISO image and use the Win8 DVD burner that becomes available to burn and verify your Win8 Install DVD. Then you REBOOT your computer, changing your BIOS settings if necessary to make the boot process look for your DVD drive first. Follow the Win8 Install instructions to create a new partition from your freed space, to format it (be careful not to format your old Win7 partition), and then continue with the install. After copying the Win8 files off the DVD to your new drive partition, you can probably eject the Install DVD. If not, when the Win8 install reboots be sure NOT to touch a key to launch the Win8 install process again. Just let launching the DVD time out and go to booting from your hard disk where you will now have a dual boot setup with the choice of booting from either your previous OS or the Win8 Consumer Preview. You will go through at least one more reboot during the install process where the same advice about not going back to the DVD applies.

The bottom line:

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...%20post&st=cse

David Pogue of the NY Times is known as an "Apple lover." So if he says, "Get psyched" about a Microsoft product, you'd better believe it. Using it only a laptop with no touch screen takes some getting used to. Just trying it so I know whether it's worth it to go for a Win8 tablet when they are on the market. But from what I've seen so far, I'm in agreement with Pogue. It's going to be very cool on a tablet.

P.S. I downloaded the free trial of Living Cookbook 2011 v3.0.34 to use as the trial install under Windows 8 Consumer Preview if anyone wants to replicate my experiment. Maybe the install will work under 32-bit Windows 8???? Since it's easy to try the LC install, as Windows 8 updates roll along, I will retry the LC install as maybe it's a rough edge of Windows 8 Preview that's causing the problem although the Win8 counseling does say some earlier Windows programs will not run under Win8 without a software update from the supplier.
    Last edited by Jim Lewis; 03-01-2012 at 11:09 PM. Reason: edit typo; P.S.
    -Jim-

Use every part of the buffalo - Brad Bird

Free Cookbook app in Windows Store

Also, Radium Technologies may have some competition already in Windows 8 relative to catching users' interests with a free app, drawing them in to invest in a paid app. There is already a free Cookbook app advertising "over 200,000 recipes" using the BigOven .API (application programming interface) in the Windows Store.

During the pre-release evaluation period (the next 6 to 9 months, probably) all the apps offered in the Windows Store are free.

P.S. I installed the Cookbook app and it's basically just an encyclopedia of recipes. Can't do much except search on them and read them. If you had them on a tablet, it would be handy for cooking but that's about it, as far as I can see.
    Last edited by Jim Lewis; 03-01-2012 at 11:11 PM. Reason: P.S.
    -Jim-

Hi there,

Thanks for the heads up. We haven't seen Windows 8 yet, but I'll make sure that Lee sees your thread and that appropriate measures are taken vis-a-vis development.

Geoff
    Follow us on Twitter: @livingcookbook

Hi there,

I've been using it this morning in a Windows 8 64 environment without any issues. I'd done a clean install of Win 7 Pro 64, then installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview, then installed Living Cookbook 3.0.34, if anything it was faster and I've been unable to get it to crash. The icon is on the Start screen, it launches without incident every time. This is an older laptop, a HP Pavillion dv6000. I didn't see any language during the install mentioning XP compatibility mode, no InstallAware wizard prompting me to install the venerable, bacon-saving workhorse that is .NET 2.0.

Anything I should try to get it to crash like yours? I want to know how you did it so that we can make any necessary corrections.

Thanks,

Geoff

I'm not crazy about the header font in the Recipe View though, it's inconsistent with the theme.

8a.jpg

My Install of Win8 was truly a CLEAN install

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Van Duyne View Post
    Hi there,

I've been using it this morning in a Windows 8 64 environment without any issues. I'd done a clean install of Win 7 Pro 64, then installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview, then installed Living Cookbook 3.0.34......Anything I should try to get it to crash like yours? I want to know how you did it so that we can make any necessary corrections. Thanks, Geoff
    Perhaps the difference is that I did NOT install Win8 over Win7. I took a blank, formatted, newly created partition and installed the 64-bit Win8 Consumer Preview, then tried to install the trial of LC v3.0.34. Not sure what .NET Framework, etc., would come with Win7 Pro 64 but I only had whatever comes with Windows 8. People getting a Windows 8 tablet would be more similar to my installation scenario than the one you used.

P.S. Just tried LC v3.0.34 install again in case a Win8 system update removed install problem. Same difficulties. This time, rather than try install from Win8 Desktop from a downloaded and saved file, I tried from IE10 download in Metro UI and picked "RUN" rather than "SAVE" (all this does is download and immediately execute from a temporary file) but got same install errors.

Another question, Geoff, is are you installing the full version of LC v3.0.34 or the trial version? Maybe that's the source of our difference?

For anyone trying Win8 Consumer Preview, here are some mouse and keyboard tips that I've found useful:

http://m.blogs.computerworld.com/198...tips_and_hints

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401143,00.asp
    Last edited by Jim Lewis; 03-11-2012 at 12:04 PM. Reason: P.S.
    -Jim-

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Lewis View Post
    Perhaps the difference is that I did NOT install Win8 over Win7.]
    I like it. We'll try a LC 3.0.34 install in a non-upgrade Windows 8 environment and see if we can duplicate what you're seeing.

Another question, Geoff, is are you installing the full version of LC v3.0.34 or the trial version? Maybe that's the source of our difference?
    I don't think that's it, there's only one setup file; everybody always essentially installs the LC trial, then registers it.

Thanks for the guidance here! Lee and I will continue our experiments today.

Geoff

More Windows 8 Tips

Another useful article that has some additional Windows 8 Tips (originally for the Developers' Preview that was out in the Fall of 2011. So a few of the tips no longer work in the Consumer Preview.)

http://www.windows8news.com/2011/09/...use-shortcuts/

The tips that no longer work or work differently are:

1. Windows key + Y - no longer does anything
    2. Windows key + X - brings up the System Management tools for Windows, same as mouse right clicking on the pop-up START button that appears when your mouse goes off the lower left corner of the screen.
    3. Left Click on blank area of Start screen does nothing unless it's minimized (Ctl+Minus key). Then the Start Screen is restored to normal size (same as Ctl+Plus key).

Other tips for working with Windows 8 with mouse and keyboard are in the links in the following post:

http://www.radiumforums.com/showthre...836#post101836
    -Jim-

LC Runs Under Clean Install of Windows 8 After Installing Net Framework 3.5 (inc v2)

Since Living Cookbook requires .Net Framework v2.0, I downloaded .Net Framework v2.0 Service Pack 2 for X86 programs (used for 32-bit programs like LC, whether they are running under a 32-bit or a 64-bit version of Windows). As soon as I tried to install .Net Framework 2.0 SP2, a popup announced that Windows 8 needed to download another component to install this feature. I got a message that Windows was searching for the required feature, then a message that .Net Framework v3.5, which includes .Net Framework v2.0, would be downloaded and installed. After the install completed, I was able to install and run the Living Cookbook 2011 v3.0.34 trial. I did the download and install from the Classic Windows Desktop in Windows 8. When I tried to use the Metro UI version of Internet Explorer, I didn't seem to have much success downloading the .Net Framework v2.0 SP package.

Geoff is right. LC runs very snappily under Windows 8, but then my wife's laptop has an Intel i5 processor, which may have something to do with it, too. Still looking forward to a Metro UI version of LC, since I doubt the "classic" Windows version of LC will be very satisfying on a Windows 8 tablet. Too many teeny, tiny things to try to work with just your fingers. When the iPhone came along, Windows Mobile phone offered v6.5 that was supposed to be finger-friendly but it wasn't really much of an improvement over previous versions of the Windows Mobile OS. And look where the iPhone vs. Windows Mobile/Windows Phones are today! So I hope LC doesn't waste time becoming a finger-friendly app with a Metro UI interface under Windows 8.
    Last edited by Jim Lewis; 04-05-2012 at 02:39 PM.
    -Jim-

Cool LC is great on tablet PC

....Still looking forward to a Metro UI version of LC, since I doubt the "classic" Windows version of LC will be very satisfying on a Windows 8 tablet. Too many teeny, tiny things to try to work with just your fingers. When the iPhone came along, Windows Mobile phone offered v6.5 that was supposed to be finger-friendly but it wasn't really much of an improvement over previous versions of the Windows Mobile OS. And look where the iPhone vs. Windows Mobile/Windows Phones are today! So I hope LC doesn't waste time becoming a finger-friendly app with a Metro UI interface under Windows 8.
    I am using LC on a Samsung touch screen slate tablet PC with Windows 7 (haven't installed Win 8 yet) and am very happy with the sizes of everything on the 11.6" screen. The Metro looks to me very similar to an Android ''start menu" on a phone. You might want to download and install a beta program called BlueStacks [ www.bluestacks.com ] that allows Android apps to run on a Windows PC. I love my touch screen and the onscreen keyboard is large enough that I rarely use the Bluetooth keyboard - just my pinkie finger!

I purposely chose this little PC (rather than an iPad or Android tablet) because I wanted to run LC, WordPerfect, and my machine embroidery programs on it. (But playing Android apps like Angry Birds is definitely more fun on the larger screen.) With the touch screen you can zoom or shrink the screen view as needed just using your fingers.
    Last edited by JaniceK; 04-08-2012 at 05:35 AM.

WOA, Blue Stacks, Ultimate To-Do List, and Cross-Platform Solutions

Hi, Janice

Thanks for the advice on LC and Blue Stacks on a Tablet PC. Great to hear that the current version of LC is quite workable in tablet mode. I'm not sure if I'll spring for an ARM-based Win8 tablet (WOA) or an Intel-based processor so LC may be in for some tweaking to run on an ARM-based processor, anyway (along with an interface facelift?!).

I have heard of Blue Stacks and read a PC World review a week or so ago along with more preliminary stuff back in the Fall, 2011:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/25277...heres_how.html

The reviewer did say he found some of his Android apps running under Windows a little slow but then he was running a virtual Android emulator in a virtual Windows machine! And here's to hoping they'll have a Blue Stacks version that runs on WOA machine!

I really like using the Android app The Ultimate To-Do List (UTL), which works hand-in-glove with Toodledo (I bought a $15/year Toodledo Pro subscription). I now favor UTL over Outlook for task management because any portable or web-based Outlook solution is so puny by comparison. So I'm hoping that when I get a Windows 8-based tablet, I'll be able to run The Ultimate To-Do List under Blue Stacks. For archiving and desktop work, I sync my Toodledo tasks to Outlook with gSyncit (works great if the Outlook folder(s) are in a .PST file but not an .OST file) (gSyncit will go Outlook to Google Calendar/ Contacts/ Tasks /Notes, too, but haven't tried that; Google Tasks is puny compared to UTL and Toodledo, too).

So it is interesting the way users are striving for a cross-platform or platform-agnostic solutions. I imagine that somewhere down the line Radium Technologies may face similar problems with different versions of LC, if there is the Windows app, the iOS app, the Android app. There will be a demand to tie all of them together. So perhaps Radium Technologies will start selling a web portal service to which you connect with whatever version(s) of LC you are running to share your cooking data amongst devices. Could spring for such a web portal service if the subscription price was really low. Probably not gonna pay $50 per year, etc. Or maybe access to the service could be a one-time add-on charge when you buy your next version of LC?
    Last edited by Jim Lewis; 04-08-2012 at 11:54 AM.
    -Jim-

Geoff is right.
    Oh, if wishing made it so.

Actually, in this case after playing with Win8 a bit I was able to reproduce exactly what you're describing with a clean Win8 install. .NET 2.0 was missing, and I wasn't allowed to install it, per a message stating .NET 2.0 is not compatible with 64 bit XP. I can reproduce it reliably, which is good news- as Lee says, if we can reproduce it, we can fix it. We still have ample time before Win8 is de rigueur, and we'll get to work on the compatibility issue between LC and a clean Win8 installation right away. Users upgrading from Windows 7 shouldn't notice a problem, but .NET 2.0 doesn't appear to be part of a clean Win 8 installation, at least not at this stage of the consumer preview, and that's the ballgame as far as running Living Cookbook.

I expect that we'll be able to take care of it before Windows 8 is formally released.

Geoff

FWIW, I couldn't get any Windows Live programs to run either, so I'm going to guess that the Win8 Consumer Preview won't bear much resemblence to the finished product in several key ways. I think the point of the Consumer Preview was to get users used to the interface, not necessarily to demonstrate its technical capabilities. Either Windows will fix the .NET 2.0 issue or we'll work something out, but one way or another Living Cookbook will run in that environment soon, hopefully by the formal release date.

Thanks,

Geoff

Where to Get a Version of .Net Framework 2.0 That Works for Windows 8 Preview

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Van Duyne View Post
    .....I was able to reproduce exactly what you're describing with a clean Win8 install. .NET 2.0 was missing, and I wasn't allowed to install it, per a message stating .NET 2.0 is not compatible with 64 bit XP. I can reproduce it reliably.......Geoff
    Hi, Geoff

Try going to your classic Windows 8 Desktop, using the version of Internet Explorer associated with that desktop, and download the .NET Framwork v2.0 Service Pack 2 from this Microsoft web page:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...ang=en&id=1639

You want the x86 version of the .NET Framework as that is the version for 32-bit programs such as Living Cookbook 2011.

When I did that and launched the Service Pack, the installation said it needed to find another feature on the Internet, and downloaded and installed .Net Framework v3.5, which also included version 2.0. Don't know whether downloading and installing .Net Framework v3.5 SP1 would work directly but in case it does, here is the link to that download, too.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=22

Speaking of things not working under Windows 8, if I try to use the Advanced Editor for this forum, the ENTER key no longer works when creating a post! It's true for either the Metro UI IE10 or the classic Desktop IE. I have to go back to the Basic Editor to enter new lines. Since most people do not use the Advanced Editor for posting, it's not too likely to cause much of a problem but you might want to test it yourself and let the vBulletin folks know.
    Last edited by Jim Lewis; 04-09-2012 at 06:49 PM.
    -Jim-

Google Chrome Allows Use of Advanced Forum Editor in Windows 8 Preview

.....Speaking of things not working under Windows 8, if I try to use the Advanced Editor for this forum, the ENTER key no longer works when creating a post! ....
    If I install the latest version of Google Chrome, that will run from the classic desktop in Windows 8 and the Advanced Editor for forum posts appears to work O.K. under that. Have not tried FireFox.
    -Jim-