Thread: Free Mind Mapping Software for Your Phone or Tablet and Your Desktop PC

Free Mind Mapping Software for Your Phone or Tablet and Your Desktop PC

You might use this software for brainstorming about a single recipe, planning a dinner, or planning an event. A cynical view might be that "Mind Mapping" is just free-form outlining that goes around in circles instead of being linear. But, hey, it's free, cool software that allows you to diagram in color with hyperlinks between different objects in your diagram/map.

Mindjet makes an EXPENSIVE commercial product for desktop computers. Costs several hundred bucks. But they offer FREE very serviceable versions of their apps for the iPhone, iPad, and Android. Guess to get you hooked so you want to buy their desktop version. However, at least for the Android version of Mindjet, you have the option to create your diagrams in Xmind or FreeMind format. These are free desktop PC Mind Mapping/Diagramming programs (Xmind is much better at least as far as the graphics it produces, IMHO). I have happily traded diagrams between Mindjet for Android and Xmind with a few minor hiccups but the basics work very well in the back and forth between phone and desktop PC.

Another thing about the free Mindjet apps is that they can be provisioned to Auto-Sync any diagrams you create with Dropbox (check the Settings Option). When updating to Dropbox was a little balky from my Android device, I had to long press on the file name in the startup screen, pick Remove from Dropbox, then long press again on the file name and pick Sync with Dropbox to force an update. YMMV.

Anyway, the apps are fun and free. Who knows. You might even be able to figure out some good uses related to cooking - maybe diagramming the seating arrangement of your guests around the dinner table(s)!
    -Jim-

Use every part of the buffalo - Brad Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Lewis View Post
    Anyway, the apps are fun and free. Who knows. You might even be able to figure out some good uses related to cooking - maybe diagramming the seating arrangement of your guests around the dinner table(s)!
    Hmmm... you've obviously met my family.

Our extended family was so large when we were kids, some of us had to eat at a (little) card table out in the hall on special family get-togethers. And I seem to remember at some really big get-togethers, some folks were even eating in the living room as well-sort of scattered all throughout the first floor of the house. So I think all the "mind-mapping" my Mom had to do was "you are a kid so you are out of here! Please sit out in the hall!"
    -Jim-

Use every part of the buffalo - Brad Bird